Ten Commandments radio program delivered in the early 90's.
Interest on Money
To listen click on the picture- - >
OPENING MUSIC - My Country Tis Of Thee
ANNOUNCER: Welcome to the Bible Law Course Program. This is a series of broadcasts about The Ten Commandments, not as a means to salvation, but as a code of conduct for Christians. In these programs we will show that all our national problems can be solved with the application of God given laws.
SPEAKER: Hello. When you add up the total debt of the American people, federal, state, local, business and personal to the money lenders, you will find that our people owe more than the total value of the whole North American Continent.
If we gave them all of America and left with only the shirt on our back, we would still owe them two more America's. To make matters worse, foreigners are taking ownership of our farms, business and industry.
How has this situation come upon us? Does the Bible have anything to say about it? Does the Bible offer any practical solutions? The answer is "Yes." Few people know, the Bible has a lot to say about money, debt and finance.
Even fewer know, the Bible contains an historical record, of a people with the very same problems as found here in modern day America.
Way back in 450 B.C. the Judah people returned from Babylon to rebuild Jerusalem, to reestablish the Judah Kingdom. A kingdom which had been destroyed by war many years before. They had many problems. One of these problems was financial. The whole story is in your Bible, in the fifth chapter of Nehemiah.
And brothers and sisters, listen to their situation then and see if it isn't exactly like our situation today. In the first two verses of Nehemiah five, we find the people complaining about their problems, here is what they said, it's in verses three and four, listen;
(3) Some also there were that said, We have mortgaged our lands, vineyards, and houses, that we might buy corn, because of the dearth.
(4) There were also that said, We have borrowed money for the king's tribute, and that upon our lands and vineyards.
(5) Yet now our flesh is as the flesh of our brethren, our children as their children: and, lo, we bring into bondage our sons and our daughters to be servants, and some of our daughters are brought unto bondage to be servants already: neither is it in our power to redeem them; for other men have our lands and vineyards.
The Ferrar Fentan Bible, a modern English version, says it this way;
We are mortgaging our farms, and vineyards, and houses, and are buying corn for hunger. We have had to borrow money to pay the king's taxes. We are bringing the bodies of our sons and daughters into slavery. God is not with us, for foreigners possess our farms and vineyards.
In just five verses in your Bible, we find a people in the exact same situation, as we here in modern day America. They were in debt - They had mortgages on their farms. Mortgages on their homes. Mortgages on their businesses. They had to borrow money to buy food. They even had to borrow money to pay their taxes. These people of the Old Testament had been forced to go into debt, to the extent that, they realized, they had actually sold the next generation into bondage.
My friends, a modern day equivalent of this is the national debt. We Americans have sold our children and grandchildren into bondage, bondage to the money lenders. One of the complaints heard in Nehemiah's time was, "God is not with us, for foreigners possess our farms and vineyards." And what is happening here in America.
As a young man, I worked in an Akron, Ohio tire plant. Most of the worlds large tire plants were in Akron, Ohio. Tens of thousands of people worked in these tire plants. Father, son and grandson worked in these Akron, Ohio tire plants.
Today, these factories are all closed, downsized, or relocated. Instead of tens of thousands of jobs for the younger generation, there are only a few hundred jobs for the old timers. And many of them are being asked to take an early retirement.
If your grandfather had been one of the soldiers that died in world war two, fighting Japan, and if he were to come back to life, and if he were to walk into the board room of one Akron, Ohio Tire plant, and look at the faces, what would he think? He would conclude that Japan had won the war.
I have in my hand a newspaper article about a wealthy billionaire Japanese business man. The article is on page 24 of the March 24, 1992 edition of The Weekly World News. The article starts out saying, and listen to this; a Japanese Billionaire is literally trying to buy Wyoming so he can turn the entire state, into his personal dude ranch!
How about that? This alien Billionaire is trying to buy up the entire state of Wyoming. Yes, This alien businessman wants to buy the entire state. Ranch by ranch, acre by acre, lot by lot. With his dollars he is accomplishing more, more than all the military might of World War Two Germany, and World War Two Imperial Japan combined. Together the Axis powers could not, by force, take and hold one acre of American soil.
Now we willingly sell America to aliens. We, the sons and daughters of those who died in World War Two, who died to protect American soil. We, the sons and daughters of those who died to protect America's heritage, we willingly sell what was bought and paid for with our ancestors blood. And all in violation of God's laws. God's laws on real estate.
Yes, God has laws on real estate. They are in your Bible. Today, the complaint is exactly as it was in Nehemiah's day, "for foreigners possess our farms and vineyards."
Does the Bible explain why the people of Nehemiah's time were in debt? Does the Bible tell us why foreigners were taking ownership of their farms and vineyards? Does the Bible tell us why this is also happening to America? And does the Bible offer a practical solution to the problem? The answer is, "Yes." I will say more about our money problems after this message.
ANNOUNCER: Lead in music, Ye Chosen Seed + Advertisement for course. + Out music....My Country tis of thee.
SPEAKER : In Nehemiah 5 of the Old Testament, in your Bible, we found a people with problems just like ours here in modern day America. They were mortgaging their homes, business and industry. They were buying food on credit. Even borrowing money to pay their taxes. They were in such debt that their children, and grand children would have to pay their debts after they were gone.
And to make matters worse, foreigners were buying up their business and industry. God expects us to learn from the past. These events were recorded in your Bible for us today. The solutions that worked then will work now. Listen to Romans 15:4
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning. Yes, these Bible stories were written for us. Written so we could learn from the past. Written so that we can have hope. Written so that we would know that our problems are solvable. Before going further, I need to tell you who Nehemiah was.
Was he a priest? Was Nehemiah a prophet? Did he preach sermons in the churches of his day? NO! In the first chapter we find that Nehemiah was a servant of the king of Babylon. His title at that time was, cup bearer. Later he was promoted to the office of Governor of Judea. Here is chapter 5: and verse 14. Governor Nehemiah is speaking, listen.
Nehemiah 5:14 Moreover from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year even unto the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes the king,
Yes, Nehemiah was a man, not in the pulpit, but a man in the governors mansion. He was also a man of prayer, this is governor Nehemiah's prayer as recorded in the first chapter of Nehemiah. As you listen to Governor Nehemiah's prayer, see if you can discover what the people did in the past to get themselves into their awful financial mess.
Nehemiah 1:4-11 (4) And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
(5) And said, I beseech thee, O Lord God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments:
(6) Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father's house have sinned.
(7) We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.
(8) Remember, I beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations:
(9) But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there.
(10) Now these are thy servants and thy people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power, and by thy strong hand.
(11) O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.
Nehemiah asked God to grant him mercy in the sight of this man, this man, the king, for at that time, Nehemiah was just a cup bearer in the kings palace. And God did grant that prayer. Nehemiah was promoted to the office of Governor. And in that prayer, Nehemiah got to the root of his nations problems, listen again,
Both I and my father's house have sinned. (7) We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.
That's it! The root cause of all their national problems. They did not keep God's Laws, Statutes and Judgments. In the prayer, Governor Nehemiah mentioned the curses that come from breaking the commandments. Perhaps Nehemiah had in mind Deuteronomy 28. Lets turn back in our Bible to Deuteronomy 28. Deuteronomy 28 is one of the most important chapters in your Bible.
It is about the blessings and curses associated with God's law. It's the very same law that many clergy sincerely believe, was done away in Jesus. Now you put your thinking caps on, (pause) If God's law, along with the blessings and curses, if God's law was done way at the cross, as the clergy sincerely believe, then this chapter of your Bible has lost its meaning for us New Testament Christians.
It would apply only to Old Testament times, to Nehemiah's time, but not to us today, not to modern day America. Let's listen to a few verses. Let's see if Deuteronomy 28 applies only to the Old Testament times, or to us also, here in modern day America. Here from Deuteronomy 28 verses 1-15; listen to this;
(1) And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
(2) And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God.
(3) Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field.
(4) Blessed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
(5) Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store.
(6) Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
(7) The Lord shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.
(8) The Lord shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
(9) The Lord shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, and walk in his ways.
That, to me, is a good description of America in times past, when women wore dresses, when men had short hair, before abortion, and before the new morality, and while it was still legal to pray and post The Ten Commandments in a public school.
But today, THEY forbid prayer and The Ten Commandments in public schools. And the churches teach, God's law is done away in Jesus. As a nation, we no longer live by The Ten Commandments. Now listen to just a few verses from the rest of this chapter. Just those few verses that relate directly to the subject of this broadcast - our national debt, and foreign take over of American business and industry. Here is the introduction to these two verses, listen;
But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
(16) Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.
(17) Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store.
(18) Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
(19) Cursed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and cursed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
(20) The Lord shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me.
That is part of God's introduction to a long list of curses that come upon us, when we break his laws. And if the law is done away as so many believe, then these curses are done away also. Listen, and see if this verse applies to both Nehemiah's time and to America today. Concerning foreign ownership we have this verse:
(43) The stranger (minorities) that is within thee shall get up above thee very high; and thou shalt come down very low.
Yes, in the tire plant where I worked as a young man, the stranger (from Japan) is high, he is in the board room. And we American's have become low, Young men here in Akron are lucky to get a janitor's job, in the factory their father helped build. And listen to this, verse 44,
(44) He (a minority) shall lend to thee, and thou shalt not lend to him: he (a minority) shall be the head, and thou shalt be the tail.
And here is the reason for all this misery; verse 45 of Deuteronomy 28.
Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee:
Blessings when we live by The Ten Commandments. But all these curses when we break God's laws. The alien take over of America's farms and industry, it is proof. Our increasing national debt, another proof. Proof that we are not keeping God's Laws. Proof that God is punishing America.
How far in debt, and how much foreign takeover will it take, before our people, and before our governors cry out to God for deliverance? Cry out just as did Governor Nehemiah. And, what commandment of God, or statute, did the people of Nehemiah's time violate, that we must also be violating, to bring this exact same judgment upon us?
Governor Nehemiah, he knew God's law. That is why he knew the answer, Listen, this is Nehemiah five, verse seven,
Then I consulted with myself, and I rebuked the nobles, and the rulers, and said unto them, Ye exact usury, every one of his brother.
Yes, "you exact usury." You charge interest on money. Nehemiah knew God's Law. Governor Nehemiah knew something that very, very few American's know today. Governor Nehemiah knew, that God's law forbid interest on money. Everyone who has studied the Old Testament knows, that the Old Testament forbids interest on money. But somehow we believe that that does not apply to us today. Churches have mortgages, Pastors quote Luke 19 to teach that Jesus approved of interest on money.
But what did the churches of times past teach? I have in my hands a book written in 1913. It is titled, The Church and Usury. It was written by a Catholic Priest. It bears the official seals of the Catholic Church. In this book, Reverend Cleary shows that all churches, both Catholic and Protestant. All churches recognized, that charging interest on money was sin. Yet somehow, slowly. Very slowly over the last several decades, all this has changed.
Today, you would find it VERY difficult to find any church, Protestant or Catholic, any church that teaches this part of God's law on money. That interest on money is sin. From time to time God complains about his people's sins. Listen to these sins of the people. As you listen to this list of sins, notice where God classes the charging of interest on money. This is from Ezekiel chapter 22,
Thou hast despised mine holy things, and hast profaned my Sabbaths.
(9) In thee are men that carry tales to shed blood: and in thee they eat upon the mountains: in the midst of thee they commit lewdness.
(10) In thee have they discovered their fathers' nakedness: in thee have they humbled her that was set apart for pollution.
(11) And one hath committed abomination with his neighbor's wife; and another hath lewdly defiled his daughter in law; and another in thee hath humbled his sister, his father's daughter.
(12) In thee have they taken gifts to shed blood; thou hast taken usury and increase, and thou hast greedily gained of thy neighbors by extortion, and hast forgotten me, saith the Lord God.
Yes, we have taken usury and increase. In modern words, usury and interest. Usury and interest are right up there along with extortion, murder and fornication. Extortion, murder, fornication and lending money at interest, by God's standards, it certainly is not Christian conduct. Listen to this verse, it's from Second Chronicles.
2 Chronicles 24:20 And the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest, which stood above the people, and said unto them, Thus saith God, Why transgress ye the commandments of the Lord, that ye cannot prosper? because ye have forsaken the Lord, he hath also forsaken you.
The Ten Commandments have been forbidden in the schools, chased out of government. When we reject God's Laws we can not prosper. And our national debt is a measure of how much God has forsaken us. Of how displeased He is with our national rebellion towards his laws, statutes and judgments. Let's turn things around, The first step in turning things around, The very first step is in the discovery that we are going in the wrong direction.
I have said some startling things about interest on money. A thousand question must be racing through your head such as. How could I buy a home? How could I buy a car with out interest? How could our society function - without interest?
The reason we ask these questions is simply because, we have never known that the Bible forbids interest. Never been told why. Why God still forbids interest on money. Never been allowed to hear the other side of the argument. Never been told of all the other ways to finance our homes, business and industry. And there are better ways. Some of the better ways are mentioned in our Bible Law Course.
We spend almost four lessons on money. We talk about notes, banking, interest, investing, and even on how to fund public works. And along with the lessons we enclose a book list. A list of dozens of books and cassette tapes on money, economics and banking. Books and tapes that you can have. Books and tapes not available at your library. Books and tapes not available at your shopping center.
If you are a man in government, A man like Governor Nehemiah, A man who prays to God for help in fulfilling the duties of public office, then you very much need to call for your free sample Bible Law Course lessons. You need to now God's Law just as did Governor Nehemiah. You need to know God's solutions to our national problems, I'll be back after this message.
ANNOUNCER: Ad for course. + Out music....My Country tis of thee.
For 1900 years Christian churches taught, that usury and interest on money were sin. When churches taught that interest was sin, God rewarded us The reward, we did not have a huge national debt. We did not have huge state debts. County debts. School bond debts. And home mortgages that took a lifetime to pay off. Yet in the last hundred years or so, Christian doctrine has changed. Today you can't find one church in a thousand, that will tell you that The Bible forbids interest on money.
And as a result we have staggering debts. The radio and TV economists tell you all the blessings of interest. The newspapers tell us how credit cards have blessed America. The television tells us how home mortgages have blessed America. This deception is so thorough, that no one questions interest on money.
The secrets of interest on money, the deep, the dark secrets, they are probably not even understood by your neighborhood banker. No one, no one questions interest on money. In fact we have been persuaded that our nation could not do without it. Brethren, God does not spend his time telling us things that we can figure out for ourselves.
If it is in the Bible, it is there for a very good reason. If God has to take the trouble to tell us how to solve a specific national problem, then it is because God's solution is the ONLY solution. Interest on money and the national debt is one of those problems. Interest on money seems so innocent. Interest on money seems so practical, and so beneficial. But just look at the results.
America has the most advanced technology in the world. America has the best industrial machinery that ever existed. American workers have always been among the most productive in the world. You need to find out why we work so hard. Produce so much, and still can't make ends meet.
You need to understand how violating this one little law, just one little law forbidding interest on money, how this national sin, opens the door to financial deception and plunder, that steals everything we have, everything, and eventually puts our whole nation, including our children and grandchildren, into debt that seems unpayable.
It's time to take action. First, pick up the phone and give us a call. Second, pick up your Bible and read Ezra and Nehemiah. Discover how Ezra and Nehemiah solved their national problems.
We have the same problems. We can apply the same solutions. The solutions that worked then will work now, but only if you know what they are, and only if they are applied.
ANNOUNCER: Closing announcement. Background end fill music Majesty, "Lift up on high the name of Jesus, magnify, come glorify Jesus the King, majesty, worship his majesty, Jesus who died, now glorified, king of all kings, Jesus who died, now glorified, king of all kings - fade out.
To listen click on
the picture. The
has been edited
If you have found this page thru an internet search, then you have found yourself in the middle of a Bible Course.
To go the beginning of Lesson One click here.
Best viewed at 800x600.
Bonus item: When Jesus went to church (synagogue) where did he sit and why did he sit there?
Mark 12:41-43 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
(42) And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
(43) And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Answer: He sat beside the offering box to see how much each person gave.
Please use Browser back button to return to the prior page.
Bible Course HOME PAGE - click here.